The Bernina Express must be the most spectacular Alpine crossing. The scenery is cinematically beautiful as the Bernina Express traverses the 65-m-high Landwasser Viaduct, the Rhaetian Railway’s most distinctive landmark. On the epic journey from Chur to Tirano, you’ll head through 55 tunnels and over 196 bridges. The journey will hold you captive with highlights like the Montebello Curve, with its view of the Bernina massif, the Morteratsch Glacier, the trio of lakes Lej Pitschen, Lej Nair und Lago Bianco, Alp Grüm, and the circular viaduct at Brusio. Now you see why the Bernina/Albula line has long been the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Property. In summer, why not extend your journey by taking the Bernina Express Bus from Tirano to Lugano?
FactsRoute: Chur–Tirano (Italy)
Distance: 148 km
Duration: 4 h 13 min
Route: Tirano (Italy)–Lugano
Distance: 90 km
Duration: 3 h 10 min
- Arosa Bahn – it takes an hour from Chur to Arosa. In just 26 km, the train negotiates more than 1,000 m of ascent
- Albula Railway Museum – more than 600 exhibits spanning over a century of railway history, including one of the last “crocodile” trains
- Gandria – a picturesque little town at the foot of Monte Brè; don’t miss a visit to the Swiss Customs Museum
- Monte San Salvatore – one of the most beautiful viewpoints on Lake Lugano
- Palm Express – diverse, approx. four-hour-long Postbus ride from Lugano to St. Moritz
Dining & WiningIn the Bernina Express there is a minibar service offering tasty snacks and refreshing drinks. This train does not have a restaurant car. Lunch is available in Tirano (Italy).
ReservationCompulsory for panorama trains (max.of 90 days in advance)
Reservation supplement summer: CHF 14
Reservation supplement winter: CHF 10
Reservation Supplement Bernina Express Bus CHF 14
Reservation not required for regular scheduled services.
that the heraldic coat-of-arms of Graubünden (home canton of the Bernina Express) depicts a mountain goat or ibex? That's why the minibars in the Bernina Express trains feature a lifelike ibex figurehead. Bernina Express trains have no dining car, but the minibar will serve a selection of snacks and drinks at your seat.