Crossing the Alps in the Bernina Express certainly is one of the most spectacular ways to do it. Along the way, the Bernina Express rolls Hollywood-style over the 65-meter-high Landwasser Viaduct, the signature structure of the Rhaetian Railway and the UNESCO World Heritage site.
Altogether the train passes through 55 tunnels and over 196 bridges on its way from Chur to Tirano. Travellers are treated to marvellous sights during their journey, like the Montebello curve with a view of the Bernina massif, the Morteratsch glacier, the three lakes Lej Pitschen, Lej Nair and Lago Bianco, the Alp Grüm and the Brusio Circular Viaduct.
In summer, the journey can be extended from Tirano to Lugano aboard the Bernina Express Bus.
FactsRoute: Chur–Tirano (Italy)
Distance: 156 km
Duration: 4 h 13 min
Route: Tirano (Italy)–Lugano
Distance: 90 km
Duration: 3 h 10 min
- Arosa Railway – from Chur to Arosa within one hour. On just 26 km, the train negotiates an amazing 1000 m in altitude
- Railway Museum Albula – over 600 exhibits from more than 100 years of railway history, e.g. one of the last «Crocodile»-Locomotives
- Gandria – a picturesque little town at the foot of Monte Bré
- Monte San Salvatore – one of the most beautiful scenic outposts along Lake Lugano
- Palm Express – rich-in-contrast, roughly four-hour postbus drive from Lugano to St. Moritz
Food & Beverages
- The Bernina Express minibar offers delicious snacks and refreshing beverages.
- The train does not feature a dining car. The guests spend their lunchtime in the Italian town of Tirano.
This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travelcard.
Apart from a valid ticket, a seat reservation is required (max. 90 days in advance).
In addition, the train is subject to surcharge:
Surcharge summer: CHF 14
Surcharge winter: CHF 10
Surcharge Bernina Express Bus: CHF 14
go to reservations
that the heraldic coat-of-arms of Graubünden (home canton of the Bernina Express) depicts a mountain goat or ibex? That's why the minibars in the Bernina Express trains feature a lifelike ibex figurehead. Bernina Express trains have no dining car, but the minibar will serve a selection of snacks and drinks at your seat.